"He who has compassion on them will guide them and lead them beside springs of water." Isaiah 49:10

Thursday, June 7, 2007

The Hispanic and The African American Connection


The Hispanic Indian & The African Slave - Two brothers, two prophets choosen for this hour:


I grew up in New York City and the only people that lived around us were either Hispanic or African American. we really didn't get to see to many Anglo people unless it was the police raiding our block; they were all white. So from a very young age I had African American friends and we considered ourselves brothers.


When I became a Christian I found a new challenge in my life; our Christian churches were segregated according to their races and there was no room for those "other kind of folk." So my Christian walk was influenced by my culture and my people- everything was viewed for a Hispanic perspective.


We sang only our kind of songs with our Latin beat to it (which by the way is pretty good) . Our preaching was laced with Spanish fraces and in a basic sence we stay within our own. When we would come out of church on any given Sunday we would look across the street to that other church, which was black, and wondered if they were Christians like us. I mean I could hear they singing and praising. But if they were brothers in Christ; How come we never get together? I imagine that they were thinking the same thing about us.
Dr. Angel L. Nunez
Senior Vice-president NHCLC


More next week

No comments:

Post a Comment